[Nclug-discuss] SCO vs. Hollywood (from /.)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Sun Nov 9 21:53:22 MST 2003

For those who snoozed some on SCO, this was on /. yesterday.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/08/1545253&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=185&tid=187&tid=188&tid=88&tid=97

(Pardon the long link and potential wrapping for some folks.)

So does anyone see a pattern so far, aside the "cart before the horse"
once again?

<personal rant>
>From a business point of view, I will speculate that McBride is trying
to pick a fight with folks with "deep pockets" (e.g., IBM and Hollywood
producers like George Lucas and Steve Spielburg (SP?)) in order for them
to (a) pay up with the logic from that being "it must be true what we
have been saying..." (though I sort of lost track of what their real
case is now a days); or (b) buy us out so I can sell off SCO and have
that ivory back scratcher per month and golden parachute today logic.
However, the cart before the horse once again shows up, but Hollywood is
not as patient nor as IP or technically legal savvy, so I feel they
might just pay off SCO from a risk management point of view instead of
standing their grounds.

I wonder how far along the SEC is with their investigation and wondering
if anyone (in the CO area) has been asked to pay for the "SCO license".
In particular the houses that use Linux on a "large scale" (e.g.,
tummy.com's and such)?  I wonder if this is a dog psychology pissing
match between big bucks vs. grass roots>  I wonder, if there were enough
LUGs in the US to pool together and purchase the remaining SCO stock out
there, is it possible to pull a large majority of vote to over rule
McBride and company to stop harassing something that I feel most LUG
related folks admire and love?
</personal rant>

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
P.M.B. 146
368 South McCaslin Boulevard
Louisville, CO 80027 USA
+1 (303) 604-2550 (voice)
+1 (866) 604-2550 (toll free within the US)
+1 (303) 664-0036 (fax)
http://www.linux-etc.net