[NCLUG] Linux-friendly satellite modem service

dobbster dobbster at frii.com
Fri Dec 15 18:42:25 MST 2000

Hi,

I have a co-worker who lives far up the Buckhorn canyon, away from
telephone lines, power lines, etc.  We have been looking for a means to
get him connected to the Net.

So far, I am only aware of "DirecTV" and "Starbase" as possible
solutions.  My understanding is that these require a "satellite modem"
as a link between a satellite dish and a USB port.

It seems both of these particular services require Windows and email is
provided through either AOL or MSN.  Ick.  However, I haven't been able
to find any other alternatives which could possibly fall within our
budget constraints.

Is anyone aware of other services which are Linux-friendly, or can
either of these services be made to function in Linux with the proper
software/kernel hacks/whatever?

Thanks,

Mark (dobbster at frii.com)