[NCLUG] Linux-friendly satellite modem service

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Sat Dec 16 20:34:55 MST 2000

on 12/15/00 6:42 PM, dobbster at dobbster at frii.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a co-worker who lives far up the Buckhorn canyon, away from
> telephone lines, power lines, etc.  We have been looking for a means to
> get him connected to the Net.

i've got a friend who lives up in red feather, so i asked him what he knew.
his response is below.

 -- mike cullerton

Now to your satellite question; as far as I know, there is only one
two-way (both upload and download) system available on teh market
today; Starband.  For all the info, goto their site
(http://www.starband.com).  Quick info: up to 500 kbs download, 150 kbs
up, only windows compatable rite now with either a card or a satellite
modem and USB.  No Linux solution that I know of rite now, and I wouldn't
hold my breath :\  DirecTV's version (DirectPC) as far as I know only
allows download and you need a dedicated phone line for upload at a
whopping 33.3 kbs.  For networking, send your boy this link too:

http://www.starband.com/faq/homenetworking/index.htm