[NCLUG] anti-spam warfare

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Thu Nov 16 17:22:29 MST 2000

"Craig, Mike" writes...

> The idea of "holding the MTA hostage" is intriguing.  Have you any thoughts
> on how that might be accomplished?  <g>
>
> OTOH, I suspect that tactic might be of questionable legality,
> unfortunately; it seems that it could possibly be construed as a DOS attack.
> (ObDisclaimer: IANAL.)

I think this is similar to the RBL situation. If anything it's a self-imposed
DOS attack. You are denying yourself the ability to receive mail from them. I
don't think anyone has the right to send you mail. If the spammer doesn't like
the way you have your MTA configured they can modify theirs to timeout or
*shudder* not send you mail.

Of course lawyers will try and sue you anyway. They get paid to do that. Until
there are penalties for bringing stupid cases into the court they will
continue to do so. "Bad lawyer! $5000 fine and no more law for 90 days."

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at fc.hp.com