[NCLUG] Urgh... This drive bites.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Oct 5 20:23:02 MDT 2000

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 08:24:56PM -0600, Matt Clauson wrote:
>Hello, guys...  I'm having fun with this new 80GB maxtor of mine -- the system
>kernel registers it as 78 gigs...  but I'm having a problem configuring it for
>more than 13 in 'regular' mode, and more than 30 in their 'special' mode -- is
>there anything I'm missing, something stupid about extra huge drives?

My machine wouldn't boot with that drive enabled in the BIOS.  To me it
sounds like you have a BIOS issue, so you may want to look at upgrading
it.  I was able to bring it up by disabling the drive in the BIOS and
had no problems once Linux booted.  Make sure you're using a recent
kernel -- it wasn't until fairly late in the 2.2 series that support
for IDE drives over 32GB was added.

I tried running badblocks on it, but it took 24 hours per pass...

 "I can sum it up in one word:  Indescribable!"  -- Gonzo