[NCLUG] Urgh... This drive bites.

Matt Clauson mec at dotorg.org
Thu Oct 5 20:34:48 MDT 2000

> My machine wouldn't boot with that drive enabled in the BIOS.  To me it
> sounds like you have a BIOS issue, so you may want to look at upgrading
> it.  I was able to bring it up by disabling the drive in the BIOS and
> had no problems once Linux booted.  Make sure you're using a recent
> kernel -- it wasn't until fairly late in the 2.2 series that support
> for IDE drives over 32GB was added.

The machine I'm using boots with it, and the BIOS is dated from earlier this
year -- I'm testing it in a machine from work.  Kernel is 2.2.17-pre7, I think...

I'll try disabling it in the BIOS, however.

FYI, it would hang my P-166 type systems (BIOS Date 01-98) unless it was set
with their 'special' jumper...  And then it would only recognize as a 30gb under
Linux...  But that may have been an old kernel.   You know what revision the 32gb
limit was removed?