[NCLUG] Cable @home questions

Bill Thorson thorson at typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
Thu Oct 12 01:09:37 MDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Aaron Johnson wrote:

> > I got @home installed (my wife wanted it) and cannot seem to get it
> > working.  It came with the Surfboard 3100 modem.  Since I live and
> > work in a Microsoft free zone so their software doesn't help me at
> > all.
>
> Sounds like a step up from bob's uucp connection.

Ah, you know bob?   Do you remember his address?

> I don't have that modem, so can't comment specifically on the blinking
> lights thing, but check the work order the installer should have left
> for an IP address assignment.  I've got a static IP address listed on
> mine, never had to use any dhcp or such stuff.  It's not clearly
> marked, though.

It's actually a kinda cool modem and more.  It has DHCP on the downstream end
and will assign up to about 30 IPs and support them.  No Linux masquerading
necessary as far as I can figure.  You can hook it straight to a hub (with
a crossover cable, of course) and connect all your computers to it.   I was
given a static IP on paper but am unaware as to how the modem gets that
address.  I guess you could say that's my big problem.

> > If I understand things correct the modem is trying to acquire it's
> > IP address from the upstream DHCP server and cannot.  It this correct?
> > If yes then it isn't my problem, right?
> >
> > I've let the modem set up my nic card via DHCP and surfed to it's
>
> In my experience, the modem itself doesn't get an address from
> upstream.  Think of it as an ethernet bridge.  Not sure why the modem
> would need an IP address.

Maybe we should think of it as a router?

> Weird.  I guess I'd call the service number what's up with it.
> Someone ought to put together an NCLUG cable modem FAQ/HOWTO.  I'll
> put something together if people with working setups want to send me
> details of their configurations.

This is a good idea.  A local, Northern Colorado,  HOWTO collection.

Bill