[NCLUG] Cable @home questions

Aaron Johnson adj at ccltd.com
Thu Oct 12 01:24:36 MDT 2000

> Ah, you know bob?   Do you remember his address?

bob the computer was bob.fort-collins.co.us, as I recall.  Looks like
it still is.  Only other Bob I can think of is Bob Proulx.  Don't
think I have his address.  Played with INN at all lately?  ;-)

[Bill got INN running on FortNet's HP box umpteen years ago.  Back
when the cable company was locally owned and was promising cable
modems any day now.  I didn't have the chutzpah or time available to
get INN running.]

> It's actually a kinda cool modem and more.  It has DHCP on the
> downstream end and will assign up to about 30 IPs and support them.
> No Linux masquerading necessary as far as I can figure.  You can
> hook it straight to a hub (with a crossover cable, of course) and
> connect all your computers to it.  I was given a static IP on paper
> but am unaware as to how the modem gets that address.  I guess you
> could say that's my big problem.

That sounds a lot different than my setup.  I guess I'd just try
setting up a computer with the address they gave you and seeing what
happens.

> Maybe we should think of it as a router?

Perhaps.  If it is, kindly disregard the blather I've been spewing.

> > Weird.  I guess I'd call the service number what's up with it.
> > Someone ought to put together an NCLUG cable modem FAQ/HOWTO.
> > I'll put something together if people with working setups want to
> > send me details of their configurations.
>
> This is a good idea.  A local, Northern Colorado,  HOWTO collection.

Yeah.  Here's a possible useful tidbit: Any @home customers looking
for an NTP server can try log.wan.home.net.  (Found it by ntpq(1)ing
the listed @home DNS servers.  clock.home.net appears to be a stratum
1 server with a GPS receiver, but it won't talk to me.)

Anyone notice a nasty outage on Tuesday?  tracerouteing back to my
home machine kept showing it as administratively blocked in Greeley.
(Yes, I'm current on my bills.)  Seems to have been down 4 or 5 hours.

Aaron
--
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.
Linux and UNIX Consulting and Software