[NCLUG] tulip.o - LRP, Coyote Linux and other such things

Daniel Herrington danielh at ftc.agilent.com
Mon Oct 23 10:52:30 MDT 2000

Yeah, I run coyote linux as a firewall/router.  It works great.  I'm
running it on a cheap 486 with only a floppy drive and two 10BaseT
cards.  The nice thing about it is that, not only does it protect your
linux/win98/whatever computers on the local side, but there's also no
hard drive to be hacked into, and you can set the read/write tab on
the floppy disk to read-only.  So a hacker can't really mess things up
on the permanent storage.  The worst that could happen is that you
might need to reboot, in order to reload the floppy image (I've never
had to do that, though).  I haven't had any problems with it, and it
runs fast on my 486 (there's no monitor or keyboard either).  And you
can't telnet to it.  Only ssh is allowed, and only from an internal
machine.  Pretty cool for a 1.44MB OS, huh...

Regards,
   Daniel

Agilent Technologies          Email: danielh at ftc.agilent.com
4380 S. Ziegler Road 	      Phone: 970-288-0661
MS 72			      Fax:   970-288-6580
Fort Collins, CO  80525-9790  http://members.home.net/daniel.herrington/

=> Replying to Richard Smerker's message, "[NCLUG] tulip.o - LRP, Coyote Linux and other such things" (Oct 23):