[NCLUG] SuSE 6.3

Michael Milligan mmilligan at verisign.com
Mon Oct 23 19:00:55 MDT 2000

> I was at the linux install fest yesterday and now have the SuSE 6.3
> version installed on my laptop and it will not shutdown properly. I have
> tried both from the root comand line typing shutdown -h now and also
> clicking shutdown on the login gui and both seem to close/halt everything
> but it doesn't turn off. If I wait until it gets to the point where it
> stops and turn the power off myself, the laptop goes through the scans,
> etc. as if I turned it off in the middle of a process, and when I turn it
> back on it is right where I left off where everything is
> halted/closed. How can I get it to shutdown correctly?? Thanks!

Check to see that /proc/apm exists.  If it doesn't, you probably need to
recompile your kernel with APM support (power management)...

Next, check that the script /sbin/init.d/halt is testing for /proc/apm and
setting $command to "halt -p".  The stock script should do that.  Otherwise,
just edit $command to be "halt -p" instead of "halt" where that is defined.
You need the -p switch to power down via the BIOS.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan - Verisign Global Registry Services - milli at acmebw.com