[NCLUG] Bad question I know!

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Apr 9 20:52:40 MDT 2001

>         I've been using Redhat for about a year.  I grown tired of RPM's and files
> always moving with every new release.  I would like to be able to upgrade my
> system but not have to relearn Redhat every time, files keep moving around.
> So the question stands what distro's would you recommend for me to use.  I
> have been hearing great things about Slackware and FreeBSD (even thou not
> linux).

Welcome, brother!!  :)

Actually, as much as I like Slack (and other BSDs), I have to warn you
-- they
don't hold your hand nearly as much.  Get used to using VI to edit
config files,
and so on...

Also, most unfortunatly, almost all binaries are distributed in RPMs,
now.
Slack can extract RPMs (using their own tool -- rpm2tgz) but it still
stuff
the stuff in strange Red Hat places.  Get used to building your own
binaries.

Personally, I'm rather fond of the control that gives me...  I rather
think
Apache goes in /usr/local/apache and NOWHERE ELSE!  Grrr...  :)