[NCLUG] Bad question I know!

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Tue Apr 10 12:28:58 MDT 2001

ahh, nothing like a religious war early in the week...

like most things in life, the way i use my computers changes over time. when
i was first learning linux, redhat and rpm's were great. if i wanted a new
application, i downloaded the rpm (most things i wanted were rpm'd) and
typed a simple command. everything worked. until that is, i needed something
without an rpm package, and i didn't have the right libraries, and i didn't
really know what i was doing and i upgraded the libraries and broke other
stuff. gosh, were those the good ol' days.

now, i use slackware, download source, compile my own binaries and put them
where they make sense to me. i'm not a big fan of gui interfaces to
administration (which is funny since i'm writing this on my macosx laptop).
to me, interfaces that keep me from really know what's going on hurt me in
the long run. like when i need to fix something remotely, or on a friends
box that doesn't use the same gui.

ultimately, you really need to understand what is going on.

mike