[NCLUG] Bad question I know!

Jim Ankrum jimj9 at qwest.net
Tue Apr 10 09:09:09 MDT 2001

Bryan Watkins wrote:

> To all,
>         I've been using Redhat for about a year.  I grown tired of RPM's and files
> always moving with every new release.  I would like to be able to upgrade my
> system but not have to relearn Redhat every time, files keep moving around.
> So the question stands what distro's would you recommend for me to use.  I
> have been hearing great things about Slackware and FreeBSD (even thou not
> linux).
>
> Bryan

	One thing you might want to know about in regards to Slackware and
FreeBSD is that they really don't have all the gui admin tools that
RedHat has. If you're one that needs Linuxconf and that sort of thing to
get you through then you might not enjoy the others too much. You can
install some admin tools if you need them (webmin, etc.) but they're not
in there by default. If you're one that likes to edit start up scripts
and all that kind of stuff by hand then these two (especially FreeBSD)
might just be your ticket.
	Jim