[NCLUG] Fun with Code Red zombie boxes

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Aug 7 18:11:23 MDT 2001

I got bored watching all those Code Red zombies uselessly attack my Apache
box, so I hacked together the following... I'd be curious to see what it
does to a Code Red-infected box, if anything. Makes you wonder if the Code
Red code might have a buffer overflow itself somewhere...

If you want to play, obviously change your paths for you...
--
echo "AddHandler cgi-script .ida" >> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart

echo "
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type:text/html\n\n";

open(A, "/dev/urandom");

while(sysread(A, $a, 1000)) {
   if (! print("$a")) {
      close(A);
      exit;
   }
}
close(A);
" > /home/httpd/html/default.ida

--
Then, watch the log fill up.

Hey, it's something to do on a... Tuesday afternoon... :-)

Later,
Paul