[NCLUG] Cisco/CodeRed fix?

Mark Fassler fassler at monkeysoft.net
Tue Aug 7 14:16:25 MDT 2001

Our Cisco 675 has been up for over 14 hours using basically that approach.

Personally, I prefer the "set web remote" over the "set web port" option
if I was going to do just one:  If you just change the port number then
conceivably some jerk can still come along and crash your router, but if
you restrict the IP address, they have to hack into the machine with that
IP address (very improbable if you set it to, say 10.0.0.1 and you're not
connected to a 10.* network.).

The real fix is, of course, for Cisco to release a CBOS that, when you
tell it to disable something, it *actually* frickin' gets disabled
(including the telnet and tftp servers - who knows what possible exploits
those have...).

--
Mark Fassler
fassler at monkeysoft.net