[NCLUG] Some CodeRed web hits compared

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Aug 8 15:58:03 MDT 2001

	On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Jim Ankrum wrote:

	> > This is interesting.  For some reason qwest is getting hit harder
	> > than many others.  Of course, I've also heard that cable modem people
	>
	>
	>  I'd venture a guess that businesses rather than home users are most likely
	> to run an NT server and businesses are also more likely to use dsl over
	> cable. I'd think that hobbyists are more likely to use Linux/BSD at home and
	> would be more likely found @home.
	>
	>  I really don't have anything to back up this claim... just making it up as
	> I go ;)
	Don't know the business vs. home users part, but out of 2390 unique hosts,
	36 are home.com, 22 are rr.com and 329 have dsl in their names. 1061 don't
	have a reverse lookup.  Is that enough to back up your claim? :)

	charles

In many areas DSL was/is agressively marketed into homes before cable modem service
was/is available. That is true in many places in Colorado, Calif and elsewhere.
Where the choice between the two services is available, the generalization may
or may not be true. AOL is agressively marketing DSL partnered with local Bell's
in most markets - especially Calif - and is very popular in upscale homes, particularly
where home schooling is done. Since AOL is the largest ISP in the US, and is blocked
as a provider in most cable markets, this trend would support DSL being largely
residential across the US.

Two counter arguments to the original assertion are 1) that businesses are more than
likely to have more than one machine NAT'd off the service and be behind a Linksys/Netgear/Utopia
NAT/firewall/router, and 2) that many new machines are sold retail for consumer use with
Win 2K (aka NT) with the personal server enabled by default.

I don't think the generalization holds any water in this context of what class of user
is more likely to contribute to the problem. My data is significantly larger and more
balanced than Charles's.

Adding to Charles's data - of the 4685 unique hosts that probed my Class C the other
night, 2506 have no reverse lookup, 298 have dsl in their name, 215 cable modem (165 are @home,
50 from other cable services), 78 .tw, 93 rr.com, 2 .dialup.frii.com, 11 .aol.com,
21 .mindspring.com, 223 other .com's, 571 .net's (many of which appear to be dedicated
or broadband rather than dialup - like .uu.net), plus another nearly 700 or so from other
various .xx country TLD's with ar, au, br, ca, cn, de, dk, fr, it, jp, nl, pl, ru,
and se all well represented. I suspect a number of those without reverse lookups are
overseas, and the reverse timed out.

John