[NCLUG] Hardware/monitor..

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Thu Aug 30 21:45:00 MDT 2001

Michael Dwyer didn't write but I lost the name of whoever it was that wrote:
> > I'm starting to put together a MAME cabinet
> > find some Cheap computer parts stores in Ft. Collins or Denver.. I'm
> > looking for a 21" to 22" monitor, and maybe a Athlon or Duron based
> > machine.  Wyoming just doesn't have any nice low cost shops, and I'm
> > cluless as to what's in CO.  If anyone could push me in the right
> > direction I'd appreciate it!

Mame being the multi-arcade m-something emulator? I'm assuming then
that 1880x1440 graphics aren't a necessity? The 21" monitor could be
a measly 1024x768 just so long as it doesn't look tiny in a cabinet?
Then you might (it's always a crap-shoot and I haven't been up there
in six months) try Eagle Micro on E. Mulberry. Samir doesn't mind it
when you lowball him.

On the other hand, unless you're planning to buy two since they're
so cheap so you'll have a spare when the first one dies...

Michael Dwyer wrote:
> Everyone can suggest their favorite store.  I get a lot of stuff through
> Insight.com, and was reasonably suprised that Googlegear.com is actually
> pretty good, despite riding the coat-tails of a really good search
> engine.  I will never work with Paragon again.

I used to like TC Computers before it got absorbed into Insight.
I haven't bought anything from Insight since back when they were
Hard Drives International ... nothing against them, but they didn't
make the cut when I've bought stuff.

Since then I've used Outpost and NECX but that was ages ago in
internet years. NECX is totally different and Outpost is just a
front now for that racoon-logoed PC Microwarehouse, I think.

Lately -- e.g. the "budget" 1-GHz athlon system I've been putting
together -- I've done a lot of my buying from mwave.com. Good prices
and the service you'd expect for that price.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com