[NCLUG] Hardware/monitor..

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Fri Aug 31 09:39:19 MDT 2001

> Michael Dwyer wrote:
> > Everyone can suggest their favorite store.  I get a lot of stuff
through
> > Insight.com, and was reasonably suprised that Googlegear.com is
actually
> > pretty good, despite riding the coat-tails of a really good search
> > engine.  I will never work with Paragon again.
>
> I used to like TC Computers before it got absorbed into Insight.
> I haven't bought anything from Insight since back when they were
> Hard Drives International ... nothing against them, but they didn't
> make the cut when I've bought stuff.

They made the cut for me, but then my sales person got promoted, and
I was shunted off to some moron who wants to hook me up with the full
extended warranty and a copy of RH7.1 for each box.  I have found that
Insight has some leads on some seriously strange equipment, though.
Want a 9" black and white VGA monitor for a server?  They can hook you
up...  Nobody else I have found has that broad of a selection.

> Since then I've used Outpost and NECX but that was ages ago in
> internet years. NECX is totally different and Outpost is just a
> front now for that racoon-logoed PC Microwarehouse, I think.

Funny how things change...  I've never ween to NECX (that I know of)
but I recall Outpost being an excellent store.  Now, they... well,
they kinda suck, now. :(  That said, I guess they currently have some
pretty good deals on the Orinoco Wi-Fi cards...

> Lately -- e.g. the "budget" 1-GHz athlon system I've been putting
> together -- I've done a lot of my buying from mwave.com. Good prices
> and the service you'd expect for that price.

<grin> Say no more!  I'll check them out next time I'm shopping...

ObJunk:  Anyone want a Mac Quadra 700?  Anyone?  Damn.