[NCLUG] FYI: Cable modems back in Fort Collins!

Aaron D. Johnson adj at ccltd.com
Thu Dec 6 11:41:32 MST 2001

> heh, good luck.
>
> I know a guy who is a tech for ATT and he has said that they've
> listed businesses as the top priority (as well they should) and are
> working only on those in CO for the time being.

Why should businesses be a priority?  Do they pay more for some
reason?  When I was trying to find info about @Work (the supposed
business version of @Home), I repeatedly came up empty.  I wound up
figuring it didn't really exist.

> It's not an official estimate but he said that it's possible that
> residencial service won't be up in Ft. Collins for 6 weeks or
> so.  Best to move to DSL, depending on where you are it could be
> faster anyway.

I for one am ready to part with my land line.  Got no real need for
it.  And no DSL availability.  Well, Jato said they would hook me up
for close to $300/month, but Jato is dead.  And I can't really justify
the up front costs of CWX right now, even if I did have decent line of
sight to one of the towers.

Anyway, I can read a lot of books in 6 weeks of time not spent in
front of computer.

> Plus, this is ATT we're dealing with, the service isn't that great
> anyway... How many of you are satisfied with your upload speeds?

I was perfectly happy with 128kbps up.  I'm not happy with 0.  But see
my previous comment about AT&T being a phone company...

- Aaron