[NCLUG] FYI: Cable modems back in Fort Collins!

Daniel Herrington danielh at ftc.agilent.com
Thu Dec 6 16:38:34 MST 2001

I didn't think there ever _was_ any such thing as a "business"
customer of @Home.  That's where the @Work comes in.  I spoke with an
AT&T rep about getting @Home for my church, and she said that we were
not eligible since we were considered "commercial."  She tried to sell
me on AT&T at Work, but the pricing was much higher and the limitations
were ridiculous (no servers allowed; if you wanted a LAN you had to
lease a router from them for a large monthly fee -- not allowed to
have your own router; only given 3 email id's, and then they'd "sell"
you a block of 15 more if you needed more; etc.).

I'm not sure AT&T at Work ever took off.  The only real advantages were
that they said the uptime was guaranteed to be greater than some
percentage, like 98%; they guaranteed you 256k upload speed; and they
said that they gave business customers a higher priority for solving
problems -- like 24 hours or something.

Since we were too far away from the CO to get DSL, we finally went
with Qwest IDSL (a hybrid ISDN-DSL solution that allows 144kbps shared
up/down) and FRII as our ISP.  Now I'm glad we chose Qwest over AT&T.

Daniel

=> Replying to Aaron D. Johnson's message, "Re: [NCLUG] FYI: Cable modems back in Fort Collins! "
=> (sent Dec 6 @ 16:24 -0700):