[NCLUG] cable modems tomorrow at 4pm

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Fri Dec 7 20:36:35 MST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Chafin" <craigcc at frii.com>
To: <nclug at nclug.org>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [NCLUG] cable modems tomorrow at 4pm

> > >Qwest package is MSN and they only offer a USB Modem unless you want to
> > >shell out an extra $249 for the Cisco 678 (according to the phone
> > >salesperson I chatted with).
> >
> > The MSN package is only if you use QWest as your IP provider.  You can
> > select a QWest DSL line, but get the IP through dozens of other
providers.
> > Including static IPs and blocks, etc...
>
> I received a letter telling me that I had to switch to MSN before the end
of
> the year because QWest.net was going away.  I called QWest and told them
that
> I use Linux, and I don't want MSN.  The rep told me to basically ignore
the
> letter and that the QWest.net stuff will still work in 2002.

It takes 5-7 business days to switch, and occasionally longer.

New Qwest/MSN service comes with a proprietary card that will not connect to
another provider and is not the Intel2100/2000 internal PCI nor the USB
Intel3200, plus a 12 month contract.  The Cisco 678 is currently promo
priced at $95, and has been ever since it replaced the Cisco 675 which was
promo priced at $150.  Qwest DSL setup is $69.95.  We have a client that
recently opted out of MSN (you can order via Qwest, but you must cancel
through MSN) and it's taken over three weeks to get a cancellation response
(Qwest still show MSN, so it's not possible to order another provider unlike
other ISP changes).  I wouldn't recommend waiting until the last minute.

If you prepay an ISP a year up front, instead of the contract, you can have
DSL for as low as $38.62/month after setup charges.

The real difference may be that your ISP may offer full service Internet;
shell, FTP, static IPs, subnets, server space, domain hosting, co-lo,
database, and support where someone answers pretty quickly.  Some options
are included, others at additional cost.  If you have a high demand server,
co-location is always cheaper than bringing throughput to the
doorstep.

Frank Whiteley