[NCLUG] FYI: Cable modems back in Fort Collins!

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Dec 8 14:12:16 MST 2001

	and the $1,200 that CWX.net wants to get into the wireless game is a little
	steep, at least right now (sorry, John).

	Kirk

With new CISCO prices and professional installation, it does get a bit expensive.
There are much cheaper solutions available for those who's employer is not paying
the bill (and requiring new equipment for the install).

If you are willing to install yourself using used equipment, the total price tag
is generally pretty close to 155+112.50+60+34+45+310 = 716.50 including the first
months service, and assuming you have a spare P133 or faster for a gateway/firewall
linux box. I picked several PCI4800's (our preferred radio due to diagnostic support)
off ebay for new members, everything else is available from local suppliers, so one
could install themselves, or pay several hours at $65/hr, and have it done
professionally.

John