[NCLUG] Cable modems?

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sat Dec 8 15:53:24 MST 2001

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> I was able to get out with that IP I snagged, and things looked ok.  I
> just did a largeish download that usually runs at 400KB/sec and up, and
> only saw around 130KB/sec (across 20MB).  I can't believe AT&Ts assertion
> that regular users won't notice that their downloads are suddenly taking
> up to 4x longer...

What was @Home's claimed download rates before the switch?

400KB/sec surprises me, considering that we're capped at 768kbps out here
in SLO, so ~85 KB/sec is about standard... if you want any more than that,
you have to sign up for (more expensive) business accounts... which are 1.5
Mbps, I think.

Later,
Paul