[NCLUG] st driver problems

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Dec 17 19:45:49 MST 2001

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 11:15:00AM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>On a more mundane note, make sure you are talking to the right device.
>mt and mtx talk to the SCSI Generic device (/dev/sg0), while tar talks
>to the SCSI Tape device (/dev/st0).  Bad things(tm) happen if you send

More importantly, it looks like the tape changer and the tape drive are on
different SCSI IDs, or at least LUNs, so you may have to talk to /dev/sg1
for the changer and /dev/st0 for the tape drive.

Does "tar cf /dev/st0 /tmp" work?  What about using st1?

 Total strangers need love, too; and I'm stranger than most.