[NCLUG] st driver problems

David Graham dgraham at i3.com
Tue Dec 18 08:56:33 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 11:15:00AM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>
>>On a more mundane note, make sure you are talking to the right device.
>>mt and mtx talk to the SCSI Generic device (/dev/sg0), while tar talks
>>to the SCSI Tape device (/dev/st0).  Bad things(tm) happen if you send
>>

>More importantly, it looks like the tape changer and the tape drive are on
>different SCSI IDs, or at least LUNs, so you may have to talk to /dev/sg1
>for the changer and /dev/st0 for the tape drive.
>
>Does "tar cf /dev/st0 /tmp" work?  What about using st1?

No, the tape begins a write operation (which is displayed on the
hardware LCD) which only lasts for a second and fails.  An EOF mark
seems to be written to the tape after that.  Just a bunch of empty files
(EOF) on the tape.

On one note, we are going to try the other adaptec driver - the "new"
aic-7xxx.  But cannot do that until we can free up one of the
drives/cards to put back in the Linux box.  All of the dirves are being
used on Window's boxes using WinTar.  In this configuration the loaders
have to be run by technicians, but the data is being retrieved.  Once
the first batch is processed, we should be able to try the Linux again.

Dave