[NCLUG] grrrr....

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Tue Feb 13 09:14:24 MST 2001

Mike Loseke wrote:
>  On a side note, anyone ever seen GNU ftp truncating passwords sent to
> the server at eight characters? Is this behaviour modifiable? The specific
> problem I'm seeing is that when logging on as anonymous to a particular
> server, and sending a "user at domain.com" style password, it's truncating at
> 8 characters and being rejected by the server. If the username happens to
> be seven characters long then it works (ie. "mloseke@" and
> "mloseke at foo.com" are both valid because the latter is truncated to the
> first and the first is acceptable to the server).
>
>  The reason I'm blaming GNU ftp is that this is on a solaris box and the OS
> supplied ftp works just fine. I need more coffee.

Is it modifiable? That's the whole *point* of GNU software, Mike! :-)

Since I'm doing this all from my armchair rather than seriously
trying to help, that seems pretty bizarre. The convention is to
send email addresses as passwords for anonymous login. If GNU ftp
was only sending 8 characters surely someone would have fixed it
by now? To get an 8 character email address your domain would have
to be (1+1+x+4=8, solve for x=8-4-1-1=2) characters or fewer. There
aren't many 2 or 1 character domains left. :-)

--
Luke Jones  luke vortex frii fullstop com