[NCLUG] Books?

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Feb 13 18:51:18 MST 2001

On 02 Dec 2000 at 13:03:29, Luke Light modified my mailspool to say:

> I am interested in learning C++ and was wondering if anybody would
> recommend any books?  I checked out GNU C++ For Linux, any opinions on
> that book?

I would recommend both Stroustroup's "The C++ Programming Language" (3rd.
Edition) for reference and advanced topic purposes... and Lippman's C++
Primer. Admittedly, they are pretty thick books, but the topics are solidly
covered in them.

Also, I'm taking a C++ class at Poly right now, and we're using Eckel's
"Thinking in C++" Volume 1, 2nd edition which is *ok*; of course, you can't
beat the price, which is free... available in PDF and HTML from

http://www.eckelobjects.com/DownloadSites/

Unless you know a great deal of OO concepts and C, though, I'd recommend
learning Java for a good grounding in OO, and then making the transition to
C++ and learning the 4,923 mines C++ is littered with that just don't exist
in Java.

Later,
Paul