[NCLUG] Books?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Feb 14 16:50:49 MST 2001

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:51:18PM -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
>On 02 Dec 2000 at 13:03:29, Luke Light modified my mailspool to say:
>> I am interested in learning C++ and was wondering if anybody would
>> recommend any books?  I checked out GNU C++ For Linux, any opinions on
>> that book?
>
>I would recommend both Stroustroup's "The C++ Programming Language" (3rd.
>Edition) for reference and advanced topic purposes... and Lippman's C++

That one's not bad, but I'd whole-heartedly recommend Programming In Python.
;-)

The Design and Evolution of C++ by Stroustrup I really enjoyed.  It's a
"Here's why C++ is the way it is" book, which really helped me grok it.

C++ In Plain English by Overland looked like a good book starting from the
ground and working up.

There was also a white one with red lettering that IIRC was from AT&T.
It looked like a pretty close port of the K&R C book, but I kind of moved
away from C++ shortly after I got it.

 "I'm a big girl."  "Yeah, and in all the right places, too."
                 -- _North_by_Northwest_