[NCLUG] press release: draft 2

Matt Clauson mec at dotorg.org
Thu Feb 15 16:18:45 MST 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 12:17:36PM -0700, S. Luke Jones wrote:
> Northern Colorado Linux User's Group
> http://nclug.org/
>
> Worried About Software Licensing? Linux Group Offers Relief!
>
> Industry association casts wide net in search of software
> pirates; Front Range Linux experts offer help to software
> users concerned by threatening letters.
>
> Fort Collins, Colorado (February 15, 2001) -- The Northern
> Colorado Linux User's Group (NCLUG) announced "Operation
> White Flag," an initiative to support software users
> threatened by a recent industry group crackdown on software
> piracy. The NCLUG program offers assistance to users
> wishing to replace their software with alternatives that
> have more attractive licensing terms.
>
> "NCLUG is not defending software piracy," said NCLUG
> president Matt Taggart. "If you're deliberately violating
> a software license, then our advice is 'don't do that.'"

I dunno if we wanna quote Matt T without permission.  He's the only
one not active in the conversation...  Last I remember, at least.  If
I missed something, kindly LART me.  You have my permission to quote
me as saying that, as well as the comments below...  But check the
name spelling.  It's ClausON, not -EN.

[SNIP!]

> A separate mailing by BSA member Microsoft was received by
> some recipients of the BSA "truce" letter. The Microsoft
> letter refers to the ongoing "truce" and recommends that
> recipients work with SoftChoice, a software reseller, to
> determine what additional software is required. Users who
> need to purchase additional software can purchase it under
> Microsoft's volume purchase program. "What a coincidence,"
> declared Sean Reifschneider.

Hmm, I didn't see any earlier reference to Sean, who he is, or what he
does...  Might be confusing to the reader.

Rest of it looks ok.  Work with me on getting material for the White
Flag site and I'll try to get it posted ASAP.

[rest SNIPPED]

--mec