[NCLUG] press release: draft 2

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Thu Feb 15 16:44:48 MST 2001

Matt Clauson writes...

> > "NCLUG is not defending software piracy," said NCLUG
> > president Matt Taggart. "If you're deliberately violating
> > a software license, then our advice is 'don't do that.'"
>
> I dunno if we wanna quote Matt T without permission.  He's the only
> one not active in the conversation...  Last I remember, at least.  If

Just got back and am catching up on email. I don't quite like the use of the
words "piracy" and "deliberately" and I want to expand on the alternative. How
about,

"NCLUG is not defending violating software licenses, the Open-source idea is
built on software licenses as well." said NCLUG president Matt Taggart. "If
you use software with restrictive licenses that revoke the freedoms to use the
program, copy the program, view the source code, and publish changes to the
source code then you need to lawfully abide by that license or switch to
software with a less restrictive license. We can help."

A little more verbose, if anyone can shorten that go ahead.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at fc.hp.com