[NCLUG] I was hacked!

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Thu Jan 4 14:30:39 MST 2001

Thus spake J. Paul Reed:

> I may be missing something, but is there a reason you have portmapper on?
> Are you using NFS (Not-Fscking-Stable) or NIS (Network-Insecurity-System)?

 Heh, which one of these was designed to 1) be secure, 2) be used securely
over public world-wide networks? Right, neither. And I'd have to disagree
with the unstable connotation. Sure, nfs blocks and doesn't like to unmount
resources when the remote side no longer exists, but it does these things
quite reliably. :-)

> If not, portmapper can probably go bye bye.

 Yep, if you aren't running Sun(tm) services like NFS or NIS then you
shouldn't need portmapper at all. It's basically someone at Sun's weird
idea of getting around inetd (and it's ilk) by re-implementing it using
registered numbers that aren't ports. :-P

--
   Mike Loseke    | ... Logically incoherent, semantically
 mike at verinet.com | incomprehensible, and legally ... impeccable!