[NCLUG] Printer suggestions

dobbster dobbster at dobbster.com
Tue Jan 16 16:20:30 MST 2001

Hi,

I support a small IP masqueraded network with about five users.
Currently we are using an HP Deskjet 660C as the printer for the
network.  I have the printer attached to one machine, and the others
send jobs to it via remote queuing.  We have both Win98 and Linux
systems on the network.

The print server uses the DJ520 driver, I believe, because it seems to
work best.  For the most part, we use the printer to print out email
from Netscape; only on rare occasions do we print graphics.

The users are complaining.  Particularly, they don't like the speed of
printouts; they also complain that the driver doesn't support color
properly and that they cannot control the "darkness level".

Can anyone suggest a relatively cheap printer as a replacement which is
faster and better supported in Linux?  I'd like one that we can easily
configure to resolve the issues I've described above.  I'd also prefer
to avoid HP Deskjets; I've not had great experiences with them in
general.

Please note that printers are not one of my strongest areas of Linux
knowledge!  I generally use linuxconf to configure everything...

Thanks,

Mark (dobbster at dobbster.com)