[NCLUG] Re: Sean's Social Hacking

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jan 21 02:18:46 MST 2001

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 01:27:16AM -0700, thorson at aster.com wrote:
>A year or so ago I bought a kit with two of these webgear cards and
>two isa2pcmcia adapters for about $150 or so.  They work GREAT! Now when I
>look at the possibility of getting another it looks like i would have to
>spend $150 each.  What's the deal with that?  Do you know of any good

Yeah, unfortunately WebGear isn't really pushing them any more.  Not
suprising when you consider how poor those cards are at handling
multiple streams of traffic.  Don't get me wrong, they're cool,
but it doesn't take much load on the air to make other sessions
nearly or completely unusable.

On the plus side, it's not so bad for those of us with the cards.
It's fairly easy to find people on ebay who are willing to pay
good prices for used cards because they just want one more card to
expand their net.  I'm thinking of doing that to move to 802.11
cards at home (currently we've got 802.11 at the office and
WebGear at home).

Unfortunately the 802.11 cards are $115 and up for just the PCMCIA
card (around $160 for the card with the ISA adapter).  The cards
that are well supported in Linux are more like $160 per card for
PCMCIA-only.  If you have to justify 3 cards (and so far I can't
get the $115 cards to work in AddHoc mode, which means you need
to spend $250 for an AccessPoint), spending outrageous rates on
a used WebGear card looks like a deal.  ;-)

I can probably come up with a spare card if you want to make me an
offer.  :-)

 Unix actually IS user friendly -- it's just very picky about whom it
 calls its friend.