[NCLUG] sort on RH7

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Wed Jul 18 16:40:56 MDT 2001

> Is it my imagination, or is the sort that has been distributed with RH
7.x
> compiled with the -f option always turned on?  Is there another
version of
> sort on the system (I can't find one) and is there some way to turn
off that
> flag?

I was kind of thinking that you were on crack... but it appears that you
are not.  The -f flag does appear stuck on in RedHat 7's sort.  However,
it appears to be stuck that way on RH 6.1 and RH 6.2 as well.  Not only
that, but the flag has no effect when it /is/ used.  eg, there appears
to be no way to turn it back on.

For what it is worth, the sort on Slack7 and Slack8 function as
advertised.
One of those two binaries will probably run on your machine if you'd
like to try.  They both report being "sort (GNU textutils) 2.0"  and
there's nothing writting in the man page, and nothing in
/usr/doc/textutils*  or in the texinfo docs.

Alright, you RedHat lovers -- what have you got to say about THIS?!  >:)

You could also grab the original GNU sources and build your own, but
then the RPM system will get angry...