[NCLUG] "ghost" a Windows box using dd, other Linux tools

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sun Jul 22 22:16:34 MDT 2001

I've got two Windows machines around here and they're set up
just so -- i.e. I've tweaked them to the point where I can
sometimes go an entire evening without a lockup or BSOD and
it's not bragging if you can do it :-)

Every time I find myself forced to monkey with either one, I
wish I had a handy procedure (and a suitable tools disc) that
would let me boot off a Linux "rescue disk" type of CD and then
run dd or the equivalent to mirror the entire bloody C: drive.

I'd like to back them up to my Linux box over the net as a .img
file and then, when (not if) disaster struck, I could boot off
the rescue disk again and then re-write the C: drive from the net.

Has anyone done this? How difficult is it? The Win boxen are 98SE.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com