[NCLUG] Need help with Bastille Linux

Eric Brunson brunson at level3.net
Sat Jul 28 16:56:56 MDT 2001

Have you installed the RPMs and tried running the UI yet?  It's pretty
straight forward and the help it gives as you go along is pretty good.

Why don't you install it and try to configure it and come back to the
list with more specific questions if you find something you don't
understand.

Grab the main RPM:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bastille-linux/Bastille-1.2.0-1.1mdk.noarch.rpm

and these if you are running X:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bastille-linux/Bastille-Tk-module-1.2.0-1.1mdk.noarch.rpm
ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/8.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/perl-Tk-800.022-5mdk.i586.rpm

or these if you are not running X:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bastille-linux/Bastille-Curses-module-1.2.0-1.1mdk.noarch.rpm
ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/8.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/perl-Curses-1.05-2mdk.i586.rpm

Install them (as root) like this:
rpm -i --nodeps Bastille-1.2.0-1.1mdk.noarch.rpm \
  Bastille-Tk-module-1.2.0-1.1mdk.noarch.rpm \
  perl-Tk-800.022-5mdk.i586.rpm

(the backslashes mean put that all on the same line)

Then run the UI:
/usr/sbin/InteractiveBastille

It doesn't sound like you're trying to set up a masquerading firewall,
so answer "no" to "Do you need the advanced networking options?" then
read and answer the questions.  The defaults are pretty safe to go
with, but try to understand what it's telling you and do a little
reading on your own, *then* come back to the list if you don't
understand it.

If you are running iptables (default for RH7.1) rather than ipchains,
many of the questions are moot.

Sincerely,
e.

P.S.
Checked out your website.  Nice designs.

* densign at danedesign.tv (danedesign at sopris.net) [010728 15:23]: