[NCLUG] Linux/Att cable modem....

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Jun 5 19:33:23 MDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Dave Treece wrote:

>   I'm wondering if some can help me. I and a buddy of mine setup a linux
>   router for his cable modem. AT&T in Ft. Collins is your wondering. We
>   had it setup using a static ip and now it seems as if ATT wants
>   everyone to do dhcp. We setup the system using Redhat 6.1 and installed
>   pump. I think it's all setup right but it still doesn't want to config
>   eth0. Anybody got a similar setup that can send me any pointers?

Just a datapoint, pump is a peice of crap; you might want to try dhcpcd,
which is far superior, and for which there is an RPM (make sure you look
closely and install dhcpcd and NOT dhcpd... the latter will turn you into a
DHCP server, which I doubt is what you want).

To get the RedHat ifup script to use the superior dhcpcd, all you need to
change is this line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup:

#if /sbin/pump $PUMPARGS -i $DEVICE ; then
if /sbin/dhcpcd -R -i $DEVICE ; then

Take out the -R if you need nameservice (I do it myself).

HTH.

Later,
Paul