[NCLUG] Linux/Att cable modem....

Sean Roberts sean623 at home.com
Tue Jun 5 23:25:56 MDT 2001

On Tuesday June  5 2001  8:52pm, you wrote:
> on 6/5/01 7:19 PM, Dave Treece at davet at frii.com wrote:
>
>   FWIW, we've had the thing setup for several months now and running just
> great. We installed isinglass and so far have been pretty lucky (nothing on
> it anyway other then routing to/from the internal network) and not seen any
> break in attempts.
>
> Man I wish I could say the same... my logs show me anywhere between 20 - 50
> connection attempts per day on my @home service.
>
> As for the dhcp thing so far I've gone about 18 months without my ip ever
> being changed. I'm reluctant to set mine up for dhcp since I use FreeBSD
> and just don't want to turn on the bpf thing if I don't have to.

I think AT&T is changing their policy.  I've had @Home for about 6 months and
had always had the same IP address.  Then about a week ago I got a letter
saying to make sure I'm running DHCP, and gave me instructions on how to make
windows run DHCP (which I happily ignored).  Anyway, just the other day my IP
address changed, so if you start having network problems, that may be the
case.  dhcpcd is easy to run.  With @home they want you to tell them your
hostname (that they gave you).  So you should run:

dhcpcd -h [hostname]

If it doesn't work you may need the -s [ipaddr] flag the first time you run
dhcpcd, where ipaddr is your old (or current) IP address.  The important
thing is the -h [hostname] flag.  I had to hack the startup script to add
that.

For those who are on @home and have their firewall getting it's IP address
from dhcp, you want to make sure your firewall rules are in
/var/state/dhcpcd-eth?.exe and it has 0700 (at least) permissions.  This
script will get run whenever dhcp changes your address.  The file
/var/state/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth?.info has potentially useful information on your
network connection (IP,DNS, Netmask, etc..) you can grep to use in a firewall
script.  See the man pages for more info.

--
Sean Roberts