[NCLUG] Re: Boycott Ziff Davis Media

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Mon Jun 25 17:50:46 MDT 2001

Julie Chiesa - ZD writes...

> I extend my extreme apologies for emailing an entire list about this Ziff
> Davis offer.  Orginally, I was emailing the head/president of the NCLUG
> group with a legitimate way to generate money for your group.

Sorry, our group is particularly sensitive to junk mail. We are also part of a
community that hates these types of marketing tactics and is fairly critical
of commercial companies' motivations.

> This is an opt in program -- people have the opportunity to subscribe to
> magazines only if they want to.  You wouldn't be responsible for providing
> any information about your members or signing anyone up but yourself.  I'm
> sorry you didn't email me directly to get more information before bashing
> something you don't have the full facts about.

The impression I got was that your company expected me to sell them the
contact information of everyone in our user group at $5 apiece($845 in our
case). I supposed that places the burden of asking them if they wanted to
"opt-in" on me, but your message didn't explain that very well. If that wasn't
the intention of the letter then perhaps the authors ought to make some
changes.

> Again, I am sorry to the group for this intrusion.  I felt the need to
> defend myself after the attack.

Please know that my mail was not aimed at you personally. Sorry if you took it
that way.

Have a nice day.

--
Matt Taggart