[NCLUG] possible topic for future meeting

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sat Mar 10 17:38:16 MST 2001

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, mike cullerton wrote:

>    i was wondering if maybe at a future meeting we might have a panel
>    type Q&A about security for newbies. general approaches to securing a
>    box. what tools are available. which complement one another. which
>    'compete' with one another. that sort of thing. sort of a way to open
>    the door for folks who are trying to keep their boxes secure and
>    up-to-date.

The material you're asking for fills WAY MORE than a meeting... I'd
actually suggest having an NCLUG event and publicizing it; we had a
wonderful response and tremendous turnout (for us, anyway) to our Secure
Your Machine symposium on the Cal Poly campus.

We spent an entire Saturday morning talking about security in workshops and
such, and had a keynote speaker and everything... it was very informative
and useful.

You can look at the schedule to get an idea of what was talked about at
http://www.lug.calpoly.edu/sym/ (click the link to get an overview of the
schedule).

Anyway, my point is the security thing can fill way more than a meeting,
and lots of people are interested in it... it really is worth a
workshop/symposium type thing.

Later,
Paul