[NCLUG] IDE RAID For Linux

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Tue Nov 6 12:48:41 MST 2001

> be very easy to support on the BIOS level for simple IDE).  So my big
> question is (and partially answered because you guys rule) if I can't
> get my highpoint controller to work native RAID in Linux- then which
one
> would be best to go with for my 'end of the year' upgrade?

I've always been under the impression that, with Linux, smarter is
always better.  Smart printers are easier to handle (PostScript) than
the dumb inkjet hardware that's been coming out recently.  Smart modems
are easier to handle than the brainless Winmodems.  You pay more for
PS printers and real modems, but it is often cheaper than sanity...

So, to that effect, I've only had experience with one RAID card, and
I'm happy to suggest it to others.  The AMI MegaRaid card is repackaged
by HP and stuck in a fair number of their Netserver line of x86 servers.
It is a fully intelligent card, and appears to Linux as just a single
drive.  Linux is totally unaware that there is a RAID system running.
It is seamless and transparent.  The native toolset, needed to cause
a rebuild without rebooting into the BIOS utility, has been ported
to Linux -- it is ugly and unfriendly, but it works.

The only problem I had with it is that it /is/ transparent.  When I
had a drive fail, the only hint I had was the screaming alarm on the
card.  The card never informed the Linux kernel that anything was
wrong.  This may have been fixed of late, for this was about two
years ago.

Mind you, these cards seem to START at about $600...

ObToys:
For what it is worth, I went out and bought one of those Promise
Ultra66 PCI cards some time ago.  Then I found that it didn't
get along well with my CD-Rom drive and certain (read: most)
games.  So, I have this card... its one of those that can be
modified into a IDE RAID controller... anyone want it?