[NCLUG] IDE RAID For Linux

Bryan Stillwell bryan at bokeoa.com
Tue Nov 6 14:40:28 MST 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:48:41PM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>I've always been under the impression that, with Linux, smarter is
>always better.  Smart printers are easier to handle (PostScript) than
>the dumb inkjet hardware that's been coming out recently.  Smart modems
>are easier to handle than the brainless Winmodems.  You pay more for
>PS printers and real modems, but it is often cheaper than sanity...

Why do people have such a problem with the Winmodems?

After doing tech support for a local ISP for about a year I found the LT
Winmodems to be the most reliable with the fastest connection speeds
than any other modem.  Being displeased with the speeds of my aging
USRobotics 33.6k modem I decided to buy one for $30 (which was a hell of
a lot cheaper than a newer external USR which was about $200 at the time
and kind of sucky if you ask me).

I started using it under Linux in March of 2000, and since DSL and Cable
still aren't available in my area (northern Loveland) I'm still using
it today.  I get a download speed of about 5KB/s on average and in the
low 100s for ping times to my ISP.  With an external USR modem it would
be more like 4.3KB/s and 150ms for ping times.  A ZOOM modem would
probably be faster than the USR, but won't help the ping times much.

Here's a page that has the source code for the Linux driver:

http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/index.html

Also here's a /. comment from John Carmack about how a winmodem can be
better than a hard modem:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3317&cid=1391297

Pretty much I just wanted to write this letter to say that you don't
have to spend $100 on something that you can get delivered to your door
for about $20 right now and it works just the same, if not better.  I
guess the only problem with it would be the extra setup.

Bryan

  http://www.bokeoa.com/    | bryan at bokeoa.com
  GPG fingerprint: 33F7 44F2 8612 E02F 8DE8  97FB 621E 8A36 6DC1 32AF