[NCLUG] Fw: How to log into CPanel securely (Progress Update)

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Oct 10 19:23:58 MDT 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Tom Thompson wrote:

> Is this truly secure? I always thought you had do do encryption stuff  on
> 447 to not have things picked up on the net??

Couple of things: first, https typically runs on port 443.

Second, you don't have to run it on port 443 for the transaction to be
encrypted. In fact, at work, we've got some clients that have development
sites on high ports like 7001 or so, yet they're running https.

If you try to access them without the https, you get a nice little "I tried
to speak https to your browser, but it didn't understand; you need to click
<here> to speak https" message (Isn't Apache so nice?)

The critical point about whether or not your transactions are encrypted is
whether or not your browser is speaking https. You know if this is the case
by looking at the URL; is the protocol schema https as opposed to http? If
so, you're golden.

One thing you might try is going to the login page of your web control
panel, and then changing the protocol to be https, and hit reload... see
what happens.

It probably won't work, but you can always give it a try.

> PS: if this isn't the right forum just let me know. don't fry me okay?

Well... we may fry you for other things, but this is the exact forum to ask
in... just wait until NCLUG gets into a flamefest... wooey!

We haven't had a good flamefest in awhile, have we Mike/Mike/Sean/Luke?

I guess I'll have to work harder.

Later,
Paul
   J. Paul Reed               preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
   It's amazing what a little brain damage will do for your credibility.
                                              -- Leonard Shelby, Memento