[NCLUG] Fw: How to log into CPanel securely (Progress Update)

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Wed Oct 10 18:39:02 MDT 2001

tom,

the port used has nothing to do with whether or not data is encrypted, it is
the program running on the port. you could create a secure protocol of your
own and run it on any port (although you probably shouldn't use well known
ports)

ask them about the data in transit. ie, when you type the word 'the' at your
keyboard when accessing the control panel, is the word 'the' in clear text
as it traverses the net. if so, this is true for anything you type, like
your password. (as you seem to already understand)

their statement "No activity that takes place within the control panel can
be monitored by anyone unless they can actually access your Control Panel."
appears false to me. anyone between 'you' and the 'control panel' could
sniff the packets.

they are either clueless or treating you like you are clueless.

not sure if either of those cases is acceptable.

mike