[NCLUG] back ups

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Fri Oct 12 09:09:00 MDT 2001

Thus spake William Dan Terry:
> I'm just curious what means people are employing for back-ups these
> days, particularly given how much disk space systems can have. I do keep
> data, like documents, in a separate dir tree.

 "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)"  -- Linus Torvalds on
axp-list at redhat.com

 But really...

 At work, our linux machines are rolled into the Veritas solution just
like the Suns and PC's. I've had occassion to need to retrieve something
once in awhile and it was nice to have.

 At home, I actually follow the spirit of Mr. Torvalds' quote above (yes,
I know it was *partly* humor) - I've several machines and any important
data that I happen to have on any of them, like web sites, configs or
documents, I tend to tar up and disperse amongst those machines
periodically. Of course, I'm not working on any award winning literature
or physics experiments, so the need for this at home isn't quite up to
requiring incrementals and quarterlies. :-)

--
                  | If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all,
   Mike Loseke    | watch this!" stay out of his way. These are
 mike at verinet.com | likely the last words he will ever say.