[NCLUG] back ups

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Oct 15 01:13:09 MDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:27:53PM -0600, William Dan Terry wrote:
>I'm just curious what means people are employing for back-ups these
>days, particularly given how much disk space systems can have. I do keep

We're backing up most of our stuff to hard drive these days.  I mount up a
drive, and use a set of programs to pump and index and split tar files
coming in via the network.  Then I use bzip to compress the individual
chunks.  I can get a full set of backups on all of our network machines,
and about a month's worth of incrementals.

The cost of two 80GB drives was about the cost of DDS media for a $1500
tape changer.  One drive is off-site at all times.

 Now let's get this thing on the hump, we've got some flying to do!
                 -- Major Kong, _Dr_Strangelove_