[NCLUG] Planning for Install Fest and Demo Day, Saturday November 3rd

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Mon Oct 15 16:47:32 MDT 2001

Hi LUGgers,

Thanks to Paul Hansen we have Rooms 205 and 203 of the Lory Student Center
reserved on Saturday November 3, 2001. The event will be from noon-4pm with
setup starting at 10am. We need to finalize what were doing, here are some
notes. Things without names need volunteers and some things could use more
than one volunteer especially help with installs.

- Advertising
   - Design flyers
   - CSU
     - hang flyers
       - CS
       - Student Center
       - Clark
     - Professors tell their classes
     - Collegian Ad
     - chalk in the plaza the week before
   - HP (taggart)
   - Tell your cow orkers
- Greeting table
    - staffing
      - noon-1pm
      - 1pm-2pm
      - 2pm-3pm
      - 3pm-4pm
    - banner (taggart)
    - install signup sheet
    - 150 raffle tickets(assuming we have a one, otherwise
          some way to count people)
    - 150 general info flyers with lug URLs, email, meeting times
- Network
    - Lory Student Center will provide one network drop/IP.
    - Firewall/masq/dhcp/squid box (Kennan? maybe tummy)
    - Network switches (taggart)
    - Network cable (taggart)
    - wireless access point (taggart)
- Demos
    - mail cluster (jafo)
    - DVDs on Linux (alstone)
    - hppa-linux (willy)
    - ia64-linux (aw)
    - alpha-linux
    - ppc-linux (powerbook guy?)
    - Linux robot? (Daniel H.)
    - OpenOffice
    - Quicken Type apps
    - Other things?
- Install stuff
    - staffing
      - noon-1pm () () ()
      - 1pm-2pm  () () ()
      - 2pm-3pm  () () ()
      - 3pm-4pm  () () ()
    - copies of all the latest ISOs to hand out
    - power strips and extension cables (taggart)
    - "install stations" monitors, keyboards, mice
- Handouts (in addition to the flyer at the door)
    - Try to get stuff from
      - Ximian (taggart)
      - RedHat
      - SuSE
      - OSDL
      - Loki (Ed)
      - IBM (Ed)
      - etc.
    - tummy?
    - lwn? (yes I know)
- Other
    - soda
    - popcorn/pretzels/etc
    - breakfast for those setting up (taggart)

That should do it for starters. Please reply with comments/additions and to
volunteer.

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart