[NCLUG] free monitors

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Oct 23 15:41:48 MDT 2001

It's been a while since I made the 20" SGI Hatachi work with a PC. Certainly
getting the pigtail right for H/V sync is important/critical. After that
it requires dialing in the Hsync and Vsync frequencies to a few percent of
what the monitor is tuned to. This is sometimes difficult with generic
SVGA cards due to limited frequency selections in their clock generators.

The older Matrox cards a more flexible - what I used at the time, and have
a bios patch to boot up fixed frequency - see the Fixed Rate Monitory FAQ's.

I've mostly just used my SGI Indy and Indigo2's as Xterms as well, but I've
been thinking about revisiting the fixed frequency PC's issues again since
I have a spare 21" sun monitor that I would like to put on a Linux/Win98 PC
for some CAD/PCB work that is VERY slooowww under 10mbps ethernet to the Indy
using a remote X display.

Maybe a group of us can sit down over a couple weekends and hack the solutions
for our collection of monitors.

John