[NCLUG] ext3 versus ReiserFS?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Oct 24 12:45:18 MDT 2001

Thus spake quent at pobox.com:
> With the Redhat 7.2 announcement I've been wondering what people think
> about the use of ext3 versus reiserfs. I've used neither but have heard
> good things about reiserfs from people using it.
>
> This info:
>
>   http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/3726/1/
>
> and others turned up with a google.com/linux search. Hearing from someone
> with firsthand experience would be good though.

 No firsthand experience with either (yet), but from various things I've
read I don't think I'll go near reiserfs. The guy who is the lead behind
it, Hans Reiser, really turned me off to it in the same way as did DJB
with his products (qmail for one).

 As to RedHat picking ext3 instead of anything else, I think it's another
case of VHS beating out betamax - good enough and not an extreme in any
direction. Of course, my own requirements for a JFS are work-only and we
use Veritas for that (who is supposed to have a Linux version also, at
least a proof of concept that I have knowledge of). I don't give a hoot
about fsck times as I reboot my linux boxen so infrequently that it isn't
an issue. But journalling the FS on a 3TB RAID is kind of important when
you have to reboot something that size.

--
                  | If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
   Mike Loseke    | and the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
 mike at verinet.com | and the address of the memory makes your fd0 abort,