[NCLUG] RH networking scripts

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sun Oct 28 22:33:05 MST 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Mark Fassler wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 09:44:41PM -0700, S. Luke Jones wrote:
> > Those of you who use Red Hat for serious systems -- I mean,
> > commercial and enterprise customers of RH and its derivatives,
> > as distict from bottom-feeding home workstation types like me.
> > Do you use the networking scripts that RH supplies? And if not,

I run hundreds of domains, differentially requiring a seperate
IP or not, and on clusters of networked machines, pre-staged
to cover for one or the other if one goes offline --
background services like DNS and Radius, and internal
log/management reduction.

No question but to leave the scripts alone, and edit the
config files -- even if the edit is ALSO with scripted tools
-- for one customer, my DNS maintenance driver config file
particularly runs thousands of lines (over 7000 the last time
I looked) -- and so in turn IT is also script maintained
(splits to the proper sub-host, and between the Linux farm and
the one remaining NT for people who insist it has to be on NT
<grin>) -- and main and backup MX servers

> (I do have a weird situation involving some workstations and DHCP where I
> had to change the scripts, but that's kind of an odd situation.)

The only major hack beyond rc.local where I do this is for a
customer there I run a differential DNS (different results to
different parts of the WAN, depending on where the workstation
is, and how it reaches certain hosts) where this was necessary
-- but it was due to a need to support a grossly misconfigured
legacy Novell BorderMangler/Frame situation.

Custom routing is usually able to handled in
/etc/sysconfig/static_routes -/- I have that supporting a
network design by EDS on their private frame network (which
uses public IP's rather than RFC 1918's) -- and maintained by
people who cannot differentiate IP routing from a duck.

... I spent some time with the RH beta team effort in advance
of RH 7.1, getting option proxies in place in /etc/sysconfig/
I'd be interested in receiving offlist  a discussion of the
standard init scripts you needed to hack after RH 7.1 released

-- Russ